Saturday, December 22, 2007

Caddyshack

Hello everyone!

Dave here... Yesterday was our last day of school, and I'm ready for a little Christmas Break. December has gone very quickly, and we've enjoyed celebrating Alyssa's birthday, and we look forward to spending time with our little ones. From Drew wanting to pull all the ornaments down on our Christmas tree to Jack having a huge plate land on his big toe, life in our house is as crazy as ever. They are more destructive than ever, and each has "scars" to show it. Bumps, bruises, scratches, and teeth marks are all common with the triplets. (Lauren inflicts the teeth mark pains to the others.)

Yesterday (Dec. 21), Amanda brought all the kids to my school for a little visit, since it was a workday for teachers with no students. Everyone loved seeing them, and they had a great time roaming the halls of my school. One of the custodians even took them for a ride on a 4 wheel cart, and thankfully, they all napped well in the afternoon, which gave Amanda a much needed rest. In a few days the kids will get to see Aunt Jill and Uncle Mo from Hawaii, so that will be fun.

OK, Dave, so why the "Caddyshack" title? Well, as I've mentioned above, life is continually crazy and busy with us. If you've never seen the movie Caddyshack, it's a comedy classic. Rodney Dangerfield, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, and countless others team up to give us a hilarious movie about golf. During the movie, there is a "gross" part where someone drops a Baby Ruth candy bar in a country club pool, and everyone thinks it's a (forgive me) big turd. People run out of the pool screaming because they think poop is floating in their in beloved, Olympic-sized pool. They drain the pool to sanitize it only for Bill Murray to realize it is a candy bar, which he decides to go ahead and eat in front of some elite members, causing one to faint because she thinks he's eating the turd. (Sorry, there's no other name that works)

Well, by reading that story, you can probably take a wild guess as to what happened to us. Picture this, will you? It's the night of Alyssa's preschool Christmas program. Our normal babysitter calls and informs us that she can't babysit the triplets because of a funeral. Everyone we tried to come over couldn't for one reason or another, so after going through many options, we decide to be brave (and maybe a little stupid) and take all the kids to her program. Yes, we had our fears that about 100 parents would give us the evil eye when we showed up with 3 screaming triplets. (The program occurred at 7:00pm, when they are usually being put in their cribs for night night.)

Well, we decide to try risk it, so we wanted to bathe them before we went to the program. I undressed Jack and put him in the bath. No problem. I undressed Lauren and put her in. No problem. I undressed Drew and put him in. PROBLEM!!!!! Alyssa likes to help daddy with bathtime, so it wasn't fun hearing her scream, "Daddy, Drew poopied!!!" A turd fell on the floor as we took off his diaper right before we put him in. "Well, at least he didn't poop in the bathtub," I thought. WRONG! Rule #1 when a baby poops is that you wait about 5-10 minutes because you want them to get all the poop out of their system before you change them. Well, we were on a tight schedule, so I risked it and put Drew in. A few minutes go by, and they are all having a great time. Then, the alarm (Alyssa) went off again... "Daddy!!!!! There's poop in the bathtub!!!!" I look down and see a few turds floating around. Now, if you've ever witnessed the triplets taking a bath together, one of their favorite things to do is "SPLASH" with their hands. So, before I could extract the poopy, there were 6 hands and arms battering the water with great force, churning the 2-3 turds into about 200 tiny turds.

My reaction wasn't stellar I might add. Did I go into "Superdad" mode and solve the crisis? Nope! I was a deer in headlights, and I had no idea what to do. I just sat there motionless. I almost wished Alyssa would have slapped me in the face to "wake me up," because I had no clue what to do. The kids didn't know any better, so they just continued to giggle and laugh. So, Dave, what did you do? I did what any smart husband would do! I called for mommy!!!!!

We carefully carried three wet babies to our bathtub and cleaned them up. I think I used about a 1/2 gallon of bleach to disinfect our tub, and I obviously learned a very valuable lesson about making sure the babies are done going poopy before I ever put them in a bath. Believe it or not, the night went extremely well, and the babies did great at the program. Alyssa sang her little heart out, and we were glad that we took the triplets, despite the bathtub setback. I bet you're thinking that you wished you didn't read this journal entry, aren't you?

Well, that's it for now. Have a blessed Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you. We're so thankful to God for our family and all of you, and we're especially thankful that God sent his Son, Jesus, to be a savior for us about 2000 years ago when he was born in a manger on that Christmas morning.

Take care,
Mr. Mom

http://four-and-no-more.blogspot.com/

This was copied and edited from our previous website on Babysites.

No comments: